Stikeman Elliott’s Global Mining Group is recognized around the world as a leader in mining law. With strong leadership from its senior practitioners and the support of one of Canada’s most distinguished corporate finance and M&A practices, the Group has developed a reputation for its excellent representation of Canadian and international mining clients wherever business takes them.
The depth of Stikeman Elliott’s business and legal expertise, combined with our wide-ranging experience in mining projects in every corner of the world, has allowed us to become one of the leading legal advisors to the mining industry. Specifically, we offer advice on:
- Mergers and acquisitions, both public and private;
- Financings, both public and private, debt and equity;
- General securities law, including compliance and governance;
- Project finance;
- Structuring and negotiating joint ventures and earn-in arrangements and;
- Property acquisitions and dispositions.
Our expertise covers the entire spectrum of mining ventures, from precious and base metals and precious and semiprecious stones, to industrial minerals and coal.
Our Group members have wide mining expertise and extensive experience in these areas. They are strong advisers with excellent strategic judgment and outstanding skill to effectively counsel our clients who include Canadian and international mining companies, investment banks and lending institutions.
Stikeman Elliott’s Global Mining Group regularly assists our clients in raising equity for exploration, resulting in the discovery of new deposits. We’re there to help clients, large and small, bring exciting projects to the capital markets for the first time. We also assist in project financing and help our clients acquire other companies to enhance their portfolios.
Our Unique Value
- International scope – our Mining practice is highly active around the globe, leading transactions for clients from or with assets in China and Asia, Australia, India, Africa, South America and Europe, as well as throughout Canada
- Multi-disciplinary expertise – the lawyers in our Group have been exposed to multiple practice areas, acting on the full range of corporate and commercial transactions, enabling us to quickly synthesize issues and solutions for clients
- Building relationships – we have nurtured a distinct mining sector expertise so we can build partnerships with clients for whom we provide a wide variety of services that are attuned to their business objectives
Pro Bono & Community Efforts
Recently members of the Group participated in an international pro bono initiative through the International Senior Lawyers Project (ISLP). Quentin Markin visited the Republic of Mozambique, Africa to share his expertise and instruct a workshop for local senior ministry officials and lawyers on “International Practices for Negotiating and Drafting Investment Contracts in The Extractive Industries”, hosted by the Ministry of Mineral Resources in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Mozambique, UNDP Regional Project for Capacity Development for Negotiating and Regulating Investment Contracts and ISLP.
Recognition for Our Work
Consistently high rankings are a clear reflection of the Group’s well-earned reputation in major cross-border and domestic legal work.
- Chambers Canada – Band 1 in Energy & Natural Resources: Mining – 2016
- Chambers Global – Band 1 in Energy & Natural Resources: Mining – 2015
- The Legal 500 – Tier 1 in Energy: Mining – 2016
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – 10 leading lawyers in Mining
- IFLR Americas– Canadian Law Firm of the Year – 2016
For more information on our Mining group, visit us at www.stikeman.com.